Friday 1 February 2008

Why Run

The case for exercise in general:

Exercising is like taking a trip to a wonderful pharmacy. Only it's free, completely organic, and carries only the good drugs.

1. Anti-depressants. Sustained exercise produces lasting changes in mood.
2. Sleeping pills. Strenuous exercise helps you get to sleep and makes that sleep better quality.
3. Weight loss. Self-explanatory.
4. Heart medication. Regular exercise is shown to lower cholesterol and blood pressure and reduce the risk of future heart problems.
5. Self-esteem boosters. Confidence gained through exercise could be both pharmalogical and a result of accomplishing something difficult.
6. Aphrodisiacs. Better physical fitness, improved blood flow, and the production of positive neurochemicals all contribute to a better sex life.
7. Narcotics. Sustained exercise produces endorphins, an internally produced opiate. It's all in the name: broken down, 'endorphins' means morphine produced from the inside. The bottom line is that exercise makes you feel good.


The case for running specifically:

1. It's free. It's the paupers exercise, just tie up your laces and hit the road. How romantic. How bohemian.
2. Pace. Cycling is too fast. Walking not intense enough. It's just right.
3. Meditation. The repetitive rhythm of feet on the path, a primary object of attention, the production of endorphins and other neurochemicals. These qualities make for great meditation when combined with taking the time to get out there, alone, getting intimate with your deeper thoughts, getting a runner's high, and regaining a fresh and honest perspective on your life.
4. It's in our genes. It's our biological exercise of choice. Our ancestors have been running for millions of years. Get out there and you'll realize the truth in this.


Getting motivated:

Watch this movie, get this magazine, and read this article."

5 comments:

  1. So isn't it interesting that hard work makes us happy? cool.
    This was GREAT. Free - I'm all over that. Yes, it's faster and more efficient than walking - but I am afraid of the intensity I think. Probably just because I'm not used to it. And I totally know what you mean about it being in our genes.
    I LOVED that article. Especially the part about "I'm not exercising because I don't have control over my behavior right now." I think I really am that ridiculous. Alright - here goes... I'm thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are feeling what I feel when I run :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, isn't it crazy how universal those intense feelings are?

    Emily, I'm totally with you and the author of that article on the excuses we make about not exercising. The one that struck a chord with me is where if you were planning on doing it, then someone tells you you need to do it, you're like, 'nobody's gonna tell ME what to do. Hmph.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the running while your knees can still tolerate it. An aging body is what motivates some of us to switch to less pounding pedal power.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, SIX months without a blog entry is WAY too long. I need another clever and insightful blog entry from the Nelsons!

    ReplyDelete